The Resident Support Scheme

What is it?

The Resident Support Scheme is a grant to enable vulnerable residents in Islington – who cannot access any other support – to sustain their home, health, family and security. It aims to provide funds to help people continue to live independently, who otherwise would not be able to. It has two different aspects.

The Resident Support Scheme itself is a grant towards the cost of specific household items – usually to replace broken furniture or kitchen electrical goods. You can apply only once a year, and your request is limited to a maximum of 6 items, none of which can cost more than £200 each. You don’t get money directly – instead you get a prepaid card to the value of your grant that you can take to Argos or the local reconditioned-goods shop Bright Sparks.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are a payment made by the Local Authority to top up rent that may not be covered by Housing Benefit – for instance, because your Housing Benefit may have been hit by the Bedroom Tax. A DHP is normally only granted for a limited period, such as 3 or 6 months. It is then possible to reapply.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you live permanently in Islington and are on a low-income benefit such as Income Support, the guarantee part of Pension Credit, Income-Related ESA or Income-Based JSA. You can also apply if your earnings are low enough that you receive Working Tax Credit.

How do I apply?

If you’re an unpaid carer, the simplest way to apply is to contact us and make an appointment. We’ll talk you through the scheme in more detail and make sure that you’re entitled to apply, and that what you’re asking for is something the scheme can provide.

Then we’ll complete an application with you and submit it to the Council, who will be in touch with you within the next two weeks.

If you’re not an unpaid carer, please contact Age UK Islington for support.

The scheme is jointly run by Islington Council and the Cripplegate Foundation.