Skip to main content

What is a Carer’s Assessment?

A Carer’s Assessment is a structured conversation to see if there’s anything that can make your life easier as a carer. It is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one.

During the assessment, the carer has the opportunity to talk about the care they provide and the impact it has on their life. This includes how it affects their physical and mental health, work, free time and relationships.

The assessment can be by phone or face-to-face and will usually last at least an hour.

Following the assessment, we will let you know about the support you could get and who would provide it.

Who do we provide Carer’s Assessments for?

When you refer a carer to Islington Carers Hub, we will work out who should complete the Carer’s Assessment. If the person that the carer is looking after receives a direct payment or package of care from the council, the council will need to do the Carer’s Assessment.

If you are caring for someone who is being supported by an NHS Mental Health Service, it’s their service rather than ours that would do the Carer’s Assessment.

Don’t forget we offer a lot of valuable support apart from Carer’s Assessments, so if you’re a professional, do still refer a carer to register with Islington Carers Hub via our Professionals Contact us form.

Why have a Carer’s Assessment?

A Carer’s Assessment might recommend things such as the following:

  • someone to take over caring so the carer can take a break
  • gym membership and exercise classes to relieve stress
  • help with taxi fares if the carer doesn’t drive
  • help with gardening and housework
  • putting the carer in touch with local support groups
  • advice about benefits for carers

Following a Carer’s Assessment, the carer might also be able to get things like a parking permit for the area where the person that they care for lives.  They will still need to pay for one, but it gives them the option to get one.

How to refer to Islington Carers Hub

To refer a carer to Islington Carers Hub for support, please contact us. You can either call us with details of the person you would like to refer or complete our online forms with their details and we will contact you.

Back to Professionals