What Is An Assessment?

The best way for you to find out about the range of support available to you, and the person you are looking after, is for both of to have an assessment. 

Carers’ Assessments
As a carer you can ask for a carers’ assessment. It is an opportunity to recognise and acknowledge the contribution that you make to the support of the person you care for, and to record what your needs are as a carer.

Children Act Assessments
If you care for a child (under 18) with a disability then you can ask for an assessment for the whole family, but you can also ask for a separate Carers Assessment if you do not feel your needs have been fully addressed.

Community Care Assessments
The Council is responsible for ensuring that adults who feel they need help, because of a disability, ill health or old age, are getting the support they need to live independently. If you are caring for an adult then you should consider a community care assessments.

Mental Health Assessments
If you, or the person you are caring for, have a mental health problem, find out more about mental health assessments.

NHS Continuing Healthcare
If the person you are caring for has complex health needs which require medical care outside of the hospital setting, they should have an assessment for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

You can also find out more about local services and support for carers in our local services directory.