If you are a carer in paid employment, you have some statutory rights – such as the right to request flexible working – and your employer must offer these. However, many employers also offer additional support to carers.
It is a good idea to check your employer’s policies for supporting carers.

Find out what support and/or policies your employer has by checking your contract, staff handbook or intranet or speaking to your line manager, the personnel department or your union.

You do not have to tell your employer about your caring responsibilities, but you might find that if you inform your manager or personnel officer about your situation they can help you manage your two roles.

For example, you may be able to use leave arrangements, paid or unpaid, at the discretion of your employer to cover intensive periods of care.

It may also help to discuss your situation with someone you can trust at work.

You may find that other colleagues are also carers, and that together you are more able to talk to your employer about ways in which you could be supported.