This page gives information about paying for services yourself. This applies to people who are using Direct Payments, are self-funding (have savings over the national threshold) or are not eligible for services from the Council. You can find out more about this on our Assessing Your Needs page.

Whatever the reason for paying for services you still have a legal right to request a Carers Assessment and a Community Care Assessment for the person you care for. These assessments and the advice about support services is free.


Islington council has a website called Links for Living which provides contact details for agencies that provide care at home and local care homes. Using an agency gives you less control and can be more expensive, but they do most of the paperwork and will arrange cover if your usual care worker is not available.


If you and the person you are looking after pay a care worker directly you will have greater control over the kind of care provided. However, you need to be aware that you and/or the person you are looking after will act as their employer.

Amongst the arrangements you will have to make will be the following:
– recruiting the care worker and checking references
– drawing up a contract of employment
– paying income tax and national insurance
– arranging insurance cover in case of accidents
– arranging alternative care whilst the care worker is on holiday or ill

You can also get support finding and employing careworkers from organisations such as Age UK Islington, Disability Action in Islington and Centre 404.

More info:

– the Care Quality Commission directory of nursing and care agencies
Age UK have a helpful fact sheet Help with Care in Your Home
– The Elderly Accommodation Counsel has a directory of home services for older people
Independent Age have a range of helpful factsheets in their advice and information section about Staying in your Own Home including one called Home Care Agencies – What to Look For.