During your carers assessment and assessments for the person you care for you should be able to discuss whether you get a break from caring and how Personal Budgets can be used to pay for this.

There is more information about this in the Carers Assessment Section and the Community Care Assessment Section.

If the person you care for is not eligible (or refuses) services from Social Services you may be eligible to apply to the Flexible Breaks Fund managed by Islington Carers Hub.

Remember getting a break could also be something you do for yourself such as an activity or hobby. These can help you manage your stress levels, reduce isolation and help you to keep a life separate from your caring role.


For information about day services and short breaks for adults with learning disabilities please visit the Council’s website.

Crossroads Care can provide a range of respite services:

Contact: or tel: 020 7485 7416.

Turn2Us is a service where you can access information about grants which could be used towards things like a break.

Contact: 0808 802 2000

Vitalise Breaks for Disabled People and Carers

Contact: or tel: 0303 303 0145 / fax: 0207 288 6899

Family Fund grants for disabled children

Contact: or tel: 08449 744 099 / textphone: 01904 658085